Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sharing The Light - A volunteer speaks

If you had asked me a year ago, what I was doing on Republic Day, you can easily imagine me in deep slumber hardly caring about the ongoing of the historic day. But today things have changed. This man of waist 36 and with weight a weighing machine would shy from has turned a new leaf.
Life has given me so much, family, friends, everything and anything I have asked for but I was never grateful. I took things for granted, which led to loosing someone very close to my heart. I am not sure whether that person would return but I do realize my mistakes now.


So what does all this have to do with Republic Day and taking things for granted? Well it happened so that my tube light (which lit very late) flashed a thought upon me that I have a lot to give back. Apart from the random acts of kindness I wanted to channelize this enthusiasm into something substantial.
With my Tata Photon working at 2Mbps, I was able to find out about ‘Youth For Seva’ organization. They efficiently and quickly guided me to seva activities at ‘Nethrodaya’.


In the words of its founder, Mr. C. Govindakrishnan who is impaired by vision but deeply rooted in his service, “The existence of Nethrodaya, during the past 11 years, has contributed substantially towards the progress and welfare of many differently abled persons in Tamil Nadu, in one way or another. We have designed and implemented various unique innovative and pioneering welfare schemes for the welfare of visually impaired, which were first of their kind in the history of Tamil Nadu or even India.”
And there I was standing proudly with along with the residents of Nethrodaya for the flag hoisting ceremony. Very soon the ‘Tiranga’ was unfurled and it swayed into freedom with wind fluttering across the Saffron, White and Green.
 

It was a new and special experience for me. I met Ramesh, Gowtham and Dhyaneshwaran. All three are pursuing their B.A. in English. Ramesh and Dhyaneshwaran inspite of their impairment were very eager to ‘read’ along with me. I felt privileged, being part of this activity. My role as an enabler was something very new to portray. It was my voice and their imagination. Their willingness to cover as much as possible was a reminder to me for going beyond my comfort zone. Reading out the passages from the plays of Shakespeare made me nostalgic and notified me that I too was once eager to learn. By the end of that wonderful day I had learnt my lessons.
 

No matter how many obstacles life puts forth, we can always choose to accept them and keep moving towards fulfilling our purpose. The heartfelt experience at Nethrodaya would definitely take me back to it, not only to teach but to learn more.

-Nimesh Jhawar

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful job Nimesh. This post will definitely inspire a lot more people to get into Seva related activities. (y)

    ReplyDelete